Beach Safety and Rules
Hilton Head Beach Safety & Rules
Designated Swimming Areas
Official swimming areas have been designated for the Alder, Coligny, Driessen, Folly Field, and Islanders beaches. The boundaries of these areas will be clearly marked on the beach and in the water.
During the beach season lifeguards are stationed in each of the designated swimming areas and other heavily populated beach areas for assistance and beach information. Please ask a lifeguard before entering the water if the yellow caution flag is flying.
The Beaufort County Sheriff's Department patrols the beaches and enforces all beach regulations. Violators of beach regulations are subject to fines up to $500 per each offense.
The following are PROHIBITED on all beaches:
- Alcoholic liquor, beer, wine
- Glass (bottles, containers, etc.)
- Indecent exposure (nudity)
- Disorderly conduct
- Disturbing the peace
- Unauthorized vehicles
- Fires and Fireworks
- Shark Fishing
- Removal, harming, or harassment of any live beach fauna (sea turtles, sand dollars, conchs, starfish, etc.)
- Removal, alteration, or damage to dunes, sea oats, or other dune flora
- Operation, launching, or landing of unauthorized motorized watercraft
- Unauthorized commercial activity
- Sleeping on the beach between midnight and 6 a.m.
- Unauthorized wearing of lifeguard emblems, insignias, etc.
- Solicitation or distribution of handouts
- Kites not under manual control
- Stunt kites 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. April 1 through September 30
For the added protection of sunbathers and swimmers, the following activities are prohibited in Designated Swimming Areas between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. April 1 through September 30:
- Fishing or surfcasting
- Surfboards, boogie boards, etc.
- Frisbees or other team sports involving a ball
- Games with metal components
Animals on the Beach
- Are not permitted - Between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Friday before Memorial Day through Labor Day
be on a leash
- Between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. April 1 through Thursday before Memorial Day
- Between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Tuesday after Labor Day through September 30
- Must be on leash or under positive voice control at all other times.
- Persons in control of animals on the beach are required to remove and properly dispose of the animal's excrement.
PLEASE TAKE CARE OF OUR BEACHES
PLACE LITTER IN THE TRASH RECEPTACLES PROVIDED